Pond placement

Pond Construction Tips

Moderator: Administration

Amanda Lawson

Pond placement

Post by Amanda Lawson »

Hi Aqua Eden!
I have a concern about pond placement. I'm thinking about putting in a pond but I'm not real sure where the best spot would be. There are a few different factors to work around: First, my yard isn't fenced and I want a deeper pond with fish. What are the restrictions for pond depth? Second, I have a dog that loves water! If my dog plays in the pond a lot will it be hazardous to my fish, plants, and general flow of the pond system? Third, my yard is completely flat and very shaded with huge trees throughout the property. Will leaves be an issue for the pond and can I still have large waterfalls with my flat yard? I'm so impressed with the beautiful waterscapes that Aqua Eden produces and now I want my own! Your work is so natural looking and I think one of your ponds will look stunning in my yard. Please let me know if my pond placement dilemas can be worked around. Thanks!
Amanda
Jake Langeslag
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pond Question Reply

Post by Jake Langeslag »

Hey Amanda -
I will address your questions one at a time -

First, my yard isn't fenced and I want a deeper pond with fish. What are the restrictions for pond depth?

Before you start the installation of your pond you should check with local city ordinances. If Faribault the max depth you can go is 30 inches before it is considered a "pool",which would then require a fence around your pond. We excavate most of our ponds to a depth of 30 inches in town.

If my dog plays in the pond a lot will it be hazardous to my fish, plants, and general flow of the pond system?

Many dogs love water. My chihuahua likes to drink out of my stream and occasionally lay in the water to cool off. I think it is amusing to watch. I have even watched larger dogs (such as black labs) jump right into a waterfall and gulp down water. Most dogs are not quick enough to catch fish. I say let your dog enjoy your water feature with you!

Third, my yard is completely flat and very shaded with huge trees throughout the property. Will leaves be an issue for the pond and can I still have large waterfalls with my flat yard?

First of all, a flat yard should never prevent you from having a water feature. A small retaining wall or corner fence is all that is needed to provide a little elevation for the waterfall to flow.

As far as leaves, for the majority of the year you will not have to worry about leaves in your pond. The skimmer unit will collect most of them. However, in the fall when the leaf load is heavier you may have to empty the skimmer net daily. This period is usually only 1 - 2 weeks. Another option to lessen the leaf load would be the placement of fine netting over the pond. This will prevent the leaves from entering the pond.

Thanks for the good questions
Jake Langeslag

"Creating Waterscape Paradises"
http://www.aquaeden.com
jake@aquaeden.com
Faribault, Minnesota
mattj

Re: Pond placement

Post by mattj »

Is it 30" maximum depth before you need a fence in Owatonna as well or are the rules different here?
Jake Langeslag
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jake Langeslag »

Mattj -
Every city has a slight difference in their backyard pond codes. Faribault has the 30" deep and 150 square foot ordinance. I have been in towns where the ordinance is as shallow as 18".

Owatonna, Minnesota - From my conversations with city officials this spring (2008) they have said that Owatonna has not adopted the 30" deep code or the 150 square foot.

Just to make sure (and i know regulations can change quickly sometimes) I have made another call into the city of Owatonna and I am still waiting to hear back from them.

I will keep you posted! :D
Jake Langeslag

jake@aquaeden.com
Faribault, Minnesota
Jake Langeslag
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jake Langeslag »

I received a call from a City of Owatonna Official - and at this time they do not regulate depth or size of "Garden Ponds".

Good Luck!
Jake Langeslag

jake@aquaeden.com
Faribault, Minnesota