Pond Summerization

For discussing how to winterize your pond

Moderator: Administration

oubrekm

Pond Summerization

Post by oubrekm »

For those of us in hotter climates, I'd appreciate a little discussion about pond summerization. In the Baton Rouge, LA area lately (July-Aug), we have seen ambient temperatures averaging around 100 DegF in the afternoon with humidity in the 90's. What is the range of good water temperatures for Koi? Is there a danger zone to beware of for their safety?

With this concern, I clean my filter a little more often to make sure I have maximum water flow from my waterfall. I have also recently tried to increase the shady areas of my pond by floating a large piece of styrofoam in my pond during the hottest part of the day. Please reply with any other suggestions or comments.

Kent
Kent Oubre
Jake Langeslag
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pond Summerization

Post by Jake Langeslag »

Kent -
I love the title! I just arrived in Savannah, Georgia today for the national pond and waterfall convention and it is HOT :twisted: and HUMID.

Your question came up while I was talking to a few southern pond contractors.

They basically said if you pond is at least 2 feet deep and you have a good splashing waterfall (for oxygen) you should be fine.

Creating extra shade is a big plus. Use floating plants if you can - but in a pinch the foam you talked about will work great.

If you would like to be safe, you could go and get an extra air bubbler at a local pet shop. Be sure to get one with a check valve though, you don't want the water coming back up the tube if it gets shut off.

I also talked to my good friend Eric Triplett from Exotic Aquatics and he said they had a pond hit 100 degrees in the desert and the fish still made it. :shock:

Remember Koi are a relative of Carp - they are one hard species to kill!

Hope you and your pond stay cool :!:
Jake Langeslag

"Creating Waterscape Paradises"
http://www.aquaeden.com
jake@aquaeden.com
Faribault, Minnesota